Tuesday, February 16, 2016

How to Throw a Surprise Wedding, Part 2: Engagement


Being that I had a specific time window in which to propose, I was thinking about how I was going to propose for months, but struggled to come up with anything.
I had asked several people, mostly female, for ideas. I was frustrated to discover that almost none of them had given any thought as to how they’d like to be proposed to. The answer I received more than once was, “oh, I would just let him do his thing, I guess. That’s his job.”
They were right, I suppose. Girls really shouldn’t spend time imagining their perfect engagement, because it’s the one part of the affair that they don’t have control over.

You should know that Makenzie is a very organized person, especially in the way she plans her time. When we were dating, we realized that it was beneficial to create a shared calendar on our phones. Any time one of us made plans, it would end up on the calendar. Even if there were events we were “maybe” going to, they would be written down so we could adjust as needed.
Now imagine trying to plan a romantic, thoughtful and surprising engagement given those criteria. Makenzie had already picked out her own engagement band and wedding ring; she was planning the wedding almost entirely by herself (since we couldn’t tell other people beyond our parents, and I wasn't very helpful beyond making some aesthetic decisions). Furthermore, during our first few weeks dating, she told me her two requirements for an engagement. I thought they were very sweet and not at all crazy, and I’m not being sarcastic. I always feared whoever I married would have a long list of requirements for both the wedding and the proposal, and thankfully, Makenzie only had two:

1). It’s not in a public place (with friends or strangers, just us)
2). There is a photographer hidden somewhere nearby to capture the moment.

I thought it was reasonable and more importantly, doable.

Because the engagement party/wedding was planned for January 16, we had to get engaged at a specific time, so the timing of the party would make since. My window of time was the first two weeks of December. This means that Makenzie was fully aware that I would be popping the question somewhere in there, and you can understand the kind of pressure I felt.

I’ll tell you what, I hate lying. I’ve never had to lie as much as I lied this past year. I’ve lied about the wedding date, the engagement party, the proposal… and finally, during the first part of December, I had to lie to the woman I love.

For a month beforehand, she kept asking me about it. “How are you going to do it?” she would ask. “Do you really want to know?” I would reply. She would look at me for a moment with excitement in her eyes, then say, “no, no. I want to be surprised!”
As much as possible, I tried to give the impression that I had the whole thing planned out. In reality, I had no clue what I was going to do. As soon as December rolled around, I settled into a mild panic. It’s amazing what a deadline can do for productivity.

In a moment of desperation, I gathered all of the ladies who were planning Makenzie’s bachelorette party into a group message on Facebook and explained my plight. I asked for any ideas they might have. I had been fishing for proposal ideas since we had first started dating.

One of our good friends (Hailey) had a great idea: She would leverage an existing conversation she had been having with Makenzie: Hailey works for a local historical museum that doubles as a wedding venue. She and Makenzie had been talking for months about doing a small photo shoot that Hailey could use for promotional photo.

She explained that she would ask Makenzie to set some time aside the following week for the photos, then Makenzie would ask me if I was available. I would “grumble” and say yes, thus throwing her off the scent of my plan.

And so the game was afoot. The plan was in motion, and no force in Heaven nor Hell could stop me.

For the next week, Makenzie continued to pester me with questions about the proposal, always curious but never really wanting to know. I was typically mysterious, but she was able to get little bits of information out of me here and there.

As the date approached, she became more frantic. “My calendar is full!” she would say. “If you’re going to propose, you better set aside time now, because I won’t be able to reschedule this stuff!”
I would nod sagely and try to chuckle to myself. “Everything will work out,” I kept saying, “don’t worry about it.”
This answer only served to flabbergast her. She had no idea that I was sweating bullets.

Fortunately, a few things happened that I could never have planned on, but worked so well in my favor that I can only chalk it up to divine providence.

First, our wedding photographer Patrick Ang posted to Facebook that he was going to be in Bakersfield over the weekend for a proposal shoot. In his post, he included a picture of two telephoto lenses set up on a cliff. They reminded me of sniper rifles. Makenzie assumed that this was part of my elaborate plan.

Not so.

The second one happened a bit later, but we had planned to attend her brother’s high school choir concert on Tuesday, but it was moved the Thursday at the last minute. I had never seen a high school event like that be rescheduled, and neither had she. She assumed that I had arranged a “fake” high school event so the time would appear to be booked, when in fact it wasn’t. I wish I was that clever.

Not so.

So the weekend comes around, and she’s convinced I’m going to propose on Saturday or Sunday. She keeps saying things like, “should I do my nails today?” to which I would reply, “yes,” every time. She would give me a long, serious glance and say, “because you know, I have to do my nails if you’re proposing today.”
It was tough.

Saturday comes and goes, so now she’s convinced I’m proposing on Sunday. She proceeds to tell all of her female friends this assumption, which made me feel like a bad guy.

I went to her apartment to pick her up for church, and I find her fully made-up and dressed, an uncommon occurrence to say the least. This is the same person who is usually half-asleep in bed when I go pick her up. Her nails and hair are done. Her outfit might be the cutest thing I’ve seen her wear, and that’s saying a mouthful; her style is my favorite.

So we go to church.
And we talk to our friends after church.
“What do you want to do today?” one of my friends asked.
“I don’t know,” I reply, “wanna come hang out at the apartment?”
I catch Makenzie’s eye and see one of the worst things ever; I see the first glimmer of lost hope. There is no fancy lunch. There is no private date time.
In the same kind of sad, quiet voice that a five-year-old might use to ask her father, “so we’re not going to Disneyland?” Makenzie asks me, “we don’t have any plans this afternoon?” My soul died a little.

“No,” I replied. “I don’t have any plans.”

I don’t know which was worse; the moment before, or this one. She nodded in an understanding way. However, I saw that she was stilling clinging to the distant hope that maybe I was doing this to throw her off. Maybe I had something planned for later that night. I could see the gears spinning in her head.

We go to the apartment. We play games and hang out almost all day with our friends. Some time that afternoon, everyone leaves. “Are we going anywhere tonight?” she asks, desperately clinging to hope.
“Nope,” I reply. Finally, I see total defeat on her face. She takes off her makeup and changes into more comfortable clothes. I see that she’s crying.

“Why didn’t you tell me it wasn’t today?” she said, her eyes thick with tears.
“You wouldn’t have believed me,” I said, pulling her into a hug.
“I got all dressed up for the photos today,” she sobbed into my ear, “because I thought Patrick was doing them.”
I didn’t know what to say for a moment. “That was just a coincidence,” I said, “I never talked to Patrick about this.”

So to make a long story short, she was very sad. I asked her what she wanted to do, and she just randomly threw out that she wanted to play this old PC game called Pharaoh, a city-management game in the vein of Sim City, only based in ancient Egypt. It’s her favorite video game that she used to play when she was in Junior High. I bought the game online and downloaded it. She then played the game for a solid six hours. I had never seen her play a videogame that long, but she was extremely happy by the end of the night.

Then Monday came and went.

Tuesday comes and it's time for our "photo shoot" at the museum. Up until this point, I had been cool as a cucumber, but suddenly I felt terribly nervous. Hailey was a trooper and stayed calm. We drove around in a golf cart to the location of the gazebo, the location where Makenzie's parents were married in 1988. We take a few pictures before Hailey asks Makenzie to go up into the gazebo. I stay on the grass below, the ring carefully held in my back pocket.

On cue, Hailey says the magic phrase for me to propose. "Makenzie, go up a step," at which point I pull out the ring and get on one knee. Makenzie turns around and see me, and for a moment thinks that I'm kidding. I had fake-proposed a number of times over the past few weeks to throw her off the trail.

I had planned a proposal speech, but it went out the window when I tried to say it. I forgot it completely and just said something like, "I love you, will you marry me?" She of course said yes and we hugged and cried. The rest of the photo shoot was very relaxed and nice. I highly recommend proposing in a cool way, because there's nothing quite like it.

2 comments:

  1. Haha, what a great story! Like keeping secrets at Christmas. I'm so rotten at it. Aren't you glad that it's over? :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you don't have to lie anymore. That was hard at every level.
    I think the hardest of everything. Well that Sunday was sad, when she didn't get proposed to, I am so glad you finally did it when you did. Great post.

    ReplyDelete